What Is Baptism?
Baptism is a visible symbol of God’s saving work within a person. It is the outward sign of belonging to the people of God—those who have repented and put their faith in Jesus Christ.
Who should be Baptized?
You should be baptized if these two conditions describe you:
- You have repented of your sins and believed on Christ alone for salvation.
- You have not already been baptized as a believer by immersion.
How to get baptized at New Hope International Church?
- Attend a baptism class. This an hour long class scheduled before the water baptism date.
- Meet with your mentor so he/she can help you prepare a testimony for the day of baptism.
- Get baptized. Most often, baptisms are held at a local pool.
What to expect when getting Baptized?
Though there may be some variations, here is the basic schedule of a baptism service:
- The pastor meets with baptism candidates at the pool, 10 minutes before the ceremony to talk through the ceremony.
- At the beginning of the baptism service, the pastor will give a quick word about baptism.
- The pastor will ask the candidates to join him at the front to share their names and why they want to be baptized.
- The candidates join the pastor one at a time at the pool.
- The pastor will declare the following three statements:
1. (Candidates name), you have put your in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins and eternal life
2. You are forsaking Satan and all his works and all his ways?
3. You intend with God’s help to obey Jesus’ teaching and follow him as your Lord
4. The pastor will then say these words of baptism and immerse the candidate: “On the profession of your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and in obedience to his command, I now baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
5. The pastor will pray for each person as they exist the pool
What to wear?
Bring proper attire to wear while being baptized and bring a change of clothes for after baptism. Remember, son clothes (t-Shirts, etc…), turn transparent when they get wet.
* Ladies-undergarments are required (either a bathing suit or underclothes). T-shirt and shorts must be worn over undergarments.
* Men – T-shirt are required. Either shorts or swimming trunks can be worn.
Bring towels to dry off and a plastic bag to put your wet items in’ we have changing rooms.
Feel free to invite friends, and relatives to watch and take pictures if they wish.
Baptism for young People
A special Baptism procedure should be followed for anyone who is under 10.
Parents of young people (10 and under) should consult with their child before baptism and give permission to go ahead with baptism. If you have questions or a special situation, please contact Ps. Caesar Prelow (206) 275-1042.